Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Ian Joins the Fray

Fray.com is a website devoted to celebrating the art of storytelling. Since the dawn of human civilization, storytelling has been used to pass a society's oral tradition through the generations. For the most part, storytelling is an event performed in person, however the rise of new media has allowed the art to flourish on radio, television, and the Internet. For nearly a decade, fray.com has provided a space for individuals to share true personal stories online. The site spawned a community of storytellers and storylisteners who in addition to sharing stories on the site organize various events for in-person storytelling. One such event is Fray Cafe, which is a standard at SxSW. At this year's Fray Cafe I shared a story of a canoeing trip gone horribly awry entitled: "My Own Personal Deliverance."

2 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

That's a great story. Did you get a lot of laughs?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Storytelling on a stage is an interesting experience. I found it a very different experience from storytelling in a small group. I've told this story before in a number of setting, and was pretty used to the cadence. When I told the story at Fray Cafe I got audience reaction at several parts where I didn't expect it and didn't get a reaction in some places that I would have.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home