Monday, March 14, 2005

Tools for grassroots organizing...

I had an interesting hallway conversation with two other DCers working in political technology: Sam from Americans United for Separation of Church and State-- an organization whose name pretty much says it all, and Tim from Echoditto, a progressive web consulting shop made up of former Deanies. I eventually realized that I’ve heard of Echoditto before. A close fried in Arizona had an ex-boyfiend working there—Garrett Graff, who recently became the first blogger to be credentialed to attend a White House press briefing.

On the topic of tools for advocacy groups, two tools came up, both suggested by Tim:
Advokit – a volunteer tracking tool (Advokit was also mentioned at IPDI).
Local Ink – a tool under development by Downhill Battle that can be used in campaigns to solicit letters to the editor and to Congress.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

Is Advokit useful for non-political campaigns, such as a domestic monitoring efforts? Although I am sure it would be too advanced for Liberia, I would love to try to use tools like this on some program. Maybe I will work on Eastern Europe in my next life.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

I'm honestly not sure. I'll let you know once I look at it a little further. I imagine that it could be used, for some aspects of organization, though I'd be curious to see what sort of options are available for your volunteers to report back information.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Paramendra Bhagat said...

Bridge Activists

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home